Nothing’s more magical than the quiet settling of snowflakes on treetops… until they pile up and cause branches to start snapping. Winters in Greater Verona, WI are stunning, but the months of cold can take a serious toll on your landscape. Caring for your plants when the temperatures drop not only prevent damage, but also promote vibrant growth come springtime. If you want to keep your landscape in great condition all year round, get winter tree care from Accurate Tree Services + H&H Arborists!
Our certified arborists have years of local experience, so we know exactly what to expect during even the harshest winter. From snow and ice removal to winter tree pruning, we offer a full range of cold season care that will boost your plant health even during dormancy.
Want to learn more about our process? Give us a call today!
Cold Weather Tree Care Tips
When temperatures plummet, your trees enter dormancy and grow at a much slower rate. Though they are not as active during this time of year, they still need care and attention to remain healthy. However, it’s difficult to do any yard work when there’s a thick layer of snow on the ground. That’s why mid to late fall is the best time to start your winter preparation. Once winter is on the way, it’s time to:
Prune Your Trees
Many people believe that wintertime pruning is dangerous to tree health, but the low temperatures actually make this the best time of year for the job. Pruning your trees in late fall or winter is ideal because it can:
- Prevent excess stress on the tree: Pruning a tree during peak growing season can place extra stress on the plant, which is why dormancy is great for trimming.
- Reduce the risk of pest infestation or disease: Pests and pathogens are also dormant during the winter, which means they are less likely to enter the vulnerable cuts left behind after pruning.
- Keep branches from breaking during the winter: Snow, ice, and heavy wind can cause weak branches to snap in the winter. Removing at-risk branches before serious weather can help you avoid damage later on.
- Is easier to perform due to lack of leaves: Once the foliage drops in the fall, it’s much easier to see the branch pattern and identify weak areas that need to be removed.
- Provides more ground-level sunlight through the winter: Sunlight is in short supply during the cold season. Thinning out the canopy can help the landscape beneath your tree by allowing light to travel farther down.
Add a Layer of Mulch
Many people underestimate the power of mulch. A layer measuring just two to four inches thick can insulate against frost and retain moisture, which will protect the root system all through winter. Come springtime, mulch can also prevent weeds and invasive plants from cropping up, which will make your warm weather gardening just that much easier. If you aren’t sure what type of mulch to use, don’t stress! Our experts can help you choose the best fit for your needs, and we can even help with installation.
Insulate Your Trees
Rapid freezing and thawing can cause bark to crack or split. Particularly if your trees are young or more sensitive to the cold, we recommend protecting the plants from the cold with insulating materials such as burlap, sheets, or tarps. You can use a frame or stakes to avoid adding weight to the branches, which will also prevent breakage should it snow.
Need a Tree and Plant Healthcare Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you right back!
Cold Weather Tree Care in Greater Verona, WI
Keep your landscape beautiful and healthy even through the harsh Greater Verona, WI winters with quality tree care services from Accurate Tree Services + H&H Arborists! Our certified arborists are well-versed in the best industry practices to provide your trees with everything they need to thrive, no matter the season. We’ll go out and handle all of your maintenance needs, so you can stay cozy indoors and still enjoy the peace of mind that comes with reliable winter tree care. See how we can help your trees this winter – give us a call today to get started!Back to Tree and Plant Healthcare
Winter Tree Care in the Greater Madison, WI area and Dane County
Serving Verona, WI