Trees may seem impossibly strong and resilient with their deep root systems, towering branches, and sturdy trunks. However, they are not immune to pests and diseases that can cause serious harm. In Madison, WI, there are various types of insects, fungi, and bacteria that can infect and damage trees. Failure to address these problems could result in the loss of visual appeal, structural integrity, or even death of the tree.
To help you maintain a beautiful, safe, and healthy yard, the professionals at Accurate Tree Services + H&H Arborists have created a guide on the common tree pests and diseases you should be aware of.
Common Tree Pests and Diseases
The damage caused by pests or diseases to trees can be severe, and timely identification of the problem followed by professional intervention can aid in landscape recovery. To make it easier for you to spot a problem early on, we have compiled a list of some of the most common tree pests and diseases found in Madison, WI:
- Hemlock woolly adelgid: These aphid-like insects create a white, cottony ovisac and are only found on hemlock trees, typically at the base of needles on a single twig. Without treatment, hemlock woolly adelgids can cause tree death.
- Elongate hemlock scale: These tiny insects feed on hemlock tree sap and produce a waxy substance, unlike the woolly adelgid’s fuzzy ovisac. Adults are small, brown, and often remain on the underside of needles.
- Spotted lantern fly: An invasive species, spotted lantern flies can inflict severe harm on various trees and plants. They are quickly recognizable by their bright red wings with black dots on the lower set when fully grown. In the spring and fall, they may appear entirely black with white spots.
- Deer: Despite being larger animals, deer can be a pest by feeding on tree bark, twigs, and leaves. If you spot deer in your yard, reach out to Accurate Tree Services + H&H Arborists to learn about our exclusion methods.
- Winter and gypsy moths: These caterpillars can cause significant leaf damage by consuming large amounts of foliage. While they are an invasive species that can be fatal to trees, ongoing extermination efforts have made them less common.
- Needle cast: This fungal disease affects spruce, pine, Douglas fir, and true fir trees, with young, stressed, or damaged trees being the most vulnerable. Spreading through spores, this fungus causes needles to turn brown and fall off over time.
Need a Tree and Plant Healthcare Estimate?
Click below to leave your information and we will call you right back!
Signs of Tree Diseases and Pests
Spotting the exact type of pest attacking your tree can require years of practice and expertise. Nonetheless, even if you are uncertain about the invading species, identifying the initial signs of damage can prevent further spread or worsening of the situation. If you observe any of the following symptoms, we suggest contacting an arborist for a comprehensive evaluation:
- Bite marks on leaves or wood
- Yellowing or withering of leaves, needles, or branches
- Hollow areas on the trunk or branches
- Sawdust or frass accumulation on the ground
- Early leaf loss or failure to blossom
The Dangers of Ticks and Mosquitos
Dealing with pests like ticks or mosquitoes can be a daunting task as they are highly persistent, and controlling environmental factors outdoors can make it even more challenging to treat an infestation or disease. Whether you’re seeking preventative measures or currently facing an infestation, Accurate Tree Services + H&H Arborists can provide expert assistance. With extensive experience serving the Madison, WI area, our ISA-certified arborists are well-versed in identifying and treating a range of local pests and diseases. Our top priority is your safety, which is why we utilize only the best techniques and products for tree and landscape pest or disease management.
Tree Pest and Disease Prevention in Madison, WI
Dealing with pests can be a daunting task as they are highly persistent, and it can be even more challenging to treat an outdoor infestation or disease. Whether you’re seeking preventative measures or currently facing an infestation, Accurate Tree Services + H&H Arborists can provide expert assistance. We are well-versed in identifying and treating a range of local pests and diseases. Our top priority is your safety, which is why we utilize only the best techniques and products for tree and landscape pest or disease management. Contact us today for a job done right!Back to Tree and Plant Healthcare
Common Tree Pests and Diseases in the Greater Madison, WI area
Serving Dane County